Sunday 9 February 2014

Love, Peace, Joy

"But let all who take refuge in you be glad; let them ever sing for joy. Spread your protection over them, that those who love your name may rejoice in you. Surely, Lord , you bless the righteous; you surround them with your favor as with a shield."
Psalm 5:11-12 NIV
 
As per every year, I went back Malaysia with my parents to visit my relatives that I mostly see once a year. This year, since CNY overlapped with the weekends, it became a longer stay of 4 days 3 nights.
I'm not sure if it's because these are people that I don't see often, or because so many things just happened this year, or because I'm finally mature enough to realise these things, but this has been a very emotionally challenging trip.
And by emotions, I mean things like reluctance, empathy, sympathy, helplessness, love, peace and happiness.
I don't want to go into details about what happen because they are private, but I cannot deny the impact that has burdened my heart because of these events that happened in such a short period of time.
There are happy things as well as unhappy things, but regardless of whichever, it has really gotten me to think a lot more of what I can do that is humanly possible but limited, and what I cannot, which makes me feel so helpless and sad.
But here are some conclusions that I've drawn out myself based on my own reflections and thinking:
1. All parents in this world love their children. It's a given, but sometimes I do admit that I take that for granted or even take advantage of it. But if you ever get the chance to see it in the eye of a parent that kind of love that they have for their child regardless of what he has done, despite the anger/disappointment/hurt that leaks out, you'll probably understand where I'm coming from. At the end of the day, despite their frustrations and lack of expression of love, or even wrong or awkward expressions of love, they only want what's best for their children. The only thing is not to realise how much you love someone until it's too late. Sometimes, things can never have a second chance.
2. Every second is precious when you spend them with your loved ones. Since I don't go back Malaysia often, many relatives really only see me once a year. And I do have some relatives that I'm a lot closer too. So being able to see them and spend time with them is something that I value a lot. The truth is that no one lives forever. We will all die someday. So I guess what's most important is that we learn to treasure every moment we have with each other while we still can.
3. Money is not everything. There are other more important things. Naturally, when you think about CNY, you would think about red packets and the money inside. In addition, now that I'm working and earning my own salary, the financial independence definitely plays a significant role in my view of money. Not sure if it's a this year thing, but everywhere I go, the conversation always revolves around money and earning big bucks (everybody wants to 发财 during this period). But I guess the unfortunate thing is that I do not share the same sentiments. Rather than wishing someone earn big bucks in the new year (whether it's for formality sake or not), I would rather wish the person good health and wisdom, which is intangible but all the more important in my opinion. After all, these are just some of the many things that money cannot buyand replace.

So before the 15 days of Chinese New Year ends, here's wishing everyone 身体健康,快乐平安. ((^w^))

No comments:

Post a Comment